....these hands....

..these hands...
have seen 90 birthdays, alongside of many tears and happiness.
these hands  laid upon her dead husband's face as she said good-bye and 6 months later, these hands shook with grief at the sudden departure of her mother.

these hands have embraced my shoulders and stilled  them calm when nothing else could. they have wiped the tears rolling down my face and consoled me when nothing else would. 
they have washed thousands of dishes, sweep many floors and ironed and folded many shirts.

these hands stroked the face of her dying son, and shook uncontrollably as she bent down and whispered her final goodbye... 
these hands held a glass of water to her son's lips when he was unable too, and covered his weary shoulders with a warm quilt.
they wiped his forehead with a cool clothe and sat beside him in trouble waters. they held his hand in comfort during his final days.

these hands have prepared many meals for her loving family 
they've disciplined her children when needed and then turned around and hugged them afterwards. 
they've weathered many storms and have come out better
if you look at them closely you can see the lines of 90 years weathered on the surface, and the fingers that are crippled and bent with arthritis 

these hands are special to me and i would recognize them anywhere. they are the hands that first held me when i took my first breath, the hands that cared for me when i was little, the hands that still can comfort me when no one else's can. they may just look like a worn out pair of hands to you, but to me i see tenderness and caring and
a love that surpasses no other
these are the hands like no one
they are the hands of my blessed mother.
XOXOX



Comments

Popular Posts