Mid-Life Crisis


This last week I have been doing a lot of soul-searching; reading books by Shauna Niequist (Cold Tangerines), (Bittersweet) and  (The Gifts of Imperfection) by Brene Brown.  The last couple of years were pretty messed up for me in my life. I had seriously thought that I was going through a mid-life crisis.  But after reading an expert from the book, "The gifts of imperfection" I was totally taken aback and surprised that that was not it at all. Dr. Brene Brown.

She describes  what most people think as a mid-life crisis as this:
"People may call what happens at midlife "A crisis," but it's not. Its an unraveling - a time when you feel a desperate pull to live the life you want to live, not the one you're "suppose" to live. (WOW that hit home) The unraveling is a time when you are challenged by the universe to let go of who you think you are supposed to be and to EMBRACE who you really are.

Midlife is certainly one of the great unraveling journeys of life.  When I was going through it, I felt disconnected with myself. I felt that I had lost "me" somewhere along the line of being a wife, a mother, a best friend, a daughter, a photographer, so many titles rolled into one person I began to lose sight of who I was. It was a scary time for me and I'm still to this day fighting back and trying to EMBRACE the real me. It is a day to day process. Not just something you can accomplish one day and you are done. I'm still learning about me, and I'm even coming to the conclusion that, "I like me," and "I'm comfortable with being in my own skin." (haha, most of the time) I know  I'm not perfect, nor will I ever be perfect, and you know what...I'm okay with that. I know that even if I sin everyday, and fail that God loves me anyway.

Just a thought to ponder on.

XOXO (Kelly)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts